Friday, March 12, 2010

Traveling

I have been traveling for the last few weeks and have thus been unable to update.

I have so many things to say about the city of Hampi and it's food. I really feel Hampi has created it's own food style. It's just the funniest thing in the world because everything is spelled wrong at all of the restaurants. You have restaurants that have *many* cuisines. I mean they're all global restaurants!! You can get "Maxcican" "Italyan" "Chinese" "Midle Eastrn"....you name it. But don't expect your dishes to resemble or taste like what you are used to. A mexican burrito looks more like a round quiche filled with carrots and peas and veggies. That's the whole charm of it though. You never know what you may get.

For vegans I recommend finding out every ingredient in a dish that you order. I ordered a veg sandwich for breakfast and I told them to take out the cheese. I thought I would be safe but much to my disappointment I got a veg sandwich with mayo :(. I never considered it would even have mayo but I should have been more careful.

When in doubt....order a falafel. I had falafel twice in my two day stay. The hummus was DELICIOUS. The falafel balls were once soft and once stale. The salad was fresh. I probably could have eaten it for all my meals. All dishes will be under Rs. 100.

I miss Hampi. I want to go back.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Prachi!! I just got your reference from Global Vegan. I am simply delighted to come to your blog and read some of your posts. I am also amazed to note some similarity in your blog with one that I have just launched together with my friends! We have just started a blog called vegan-india.blogspot.com. The blog is not even a week old! Through the blog, we aspire to bring stories of vegan businesses and enterprises in India. We hope the blog grows into a reckonable database in a few months. I hope you can visit sometime. Please be in touch, I am excited that we share the same ideals! Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! This sounds great.....I'll definitely be following your blog. We can bounce ideas off each other. Are you guys based in Bangalore mostly? If so, are you going to the vegan health seminar this Saturday? Hope we can all meet :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, we're in Bangalore, best place to be if one is vegan, no? Yes surely, we could create the synnergy needed! Unfortunately can't make it to the vegan events this weekend. Keep in touch! Google has not yet started indexing or crawling our site so it is a good time to put in as many products stories as is possible :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah it's been a real treat to discover all the vegan food here in Bangalore! I'll definitely be in touch...can't wait to continue reading your posts! Too bad for this weekend...but maybe next time there's an event. I'll do a follow up post after Saturday to explain how it all went!

    ReplyDelete